Friday, February 13, 2009

Bartholomew's Articles of Municipal Planning

Before I put the model through its paces, I believe it's important to set a few guidelines for the practical application of the model:



  • Though I plan on trying to use proper nautical terminology, for now I'm steering clear of using actual pirate vernacular, since I think it would detract from the message itself.
  • I am assuming the title of "quartermaster" for myself. There is some debate as to the role of the quartermaster on a privateering vessel. I will be using the commonly accepted definition, which is that the quartermaster oversaw the day-to-day operation of the vessel, which corresponds nicely with the role of a current planner. The captain handled the plotting of their exploits, and was in full control of the vessel during battle, but left the carrying out of non-combat operations to the quartermaster so that he could resume plotting. The quartermaster also meted out discipline and officiated during duels, which I think is an effective simile for my code enforcement duties.
  • The term Marque-holder will refer to the city council and/or the mayor. The part of governor will be played by the city supervisor. My captain will obviously be my planning director. The Masters and Mates are the others employed in city administration. Plank-owners will be the representative stakeholders: developers, property mangers, etc. Everyone else is crew.
  • As on a real pirate ship, no crew member is anymore important than another, and has no less voice than any other; some just have specialized skills or rights of ownership that allow them more control over certain aspects of the running of the ship.

So now our example:

This morning, I met with a plank owner. He had converted a portion of his holdings in the ship to extended crew quarters, but had failed to paint a picture of a topless mermaid on the wall to help soothe those bunking there, thus doing his part to alleviate thoughts of mutiny in the general crew. Until he paints this mural, the Carpenter Master is keeping a portion of his shares of swag. We discussed the particulars: how big the mural had to be, what colors he should use, how heavily endowed to make the mermaid, etc. The compromise we reached was that I would tell the Carpenter Master to hold a portion of his shares until we could reach port and our errant plank holder could purchase the necessary paint.

You see how the analogy works? If not, email me and I'll explain the metaphor. Or you could just use your imagination and enjoy the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment