Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ten

I've been enjoying my work blog, but since I don't always have enough stuff going on to make a decent post, and since I have other thoughts I'd like to share, I decided to start a companion blog. Don't expect me to adopt any personae for this. I just might occasionally have something I feel I need to express.

For instance:

I just purchased Pearl Jam's Ten remix. I bought the version with the remixed/bonus tracks, and I gotta say, I like it. The differences from the original tracks are subtle, but they are there. Most noticeable is the fact that all the reverb is gone.

I always felt like Ten didn't fit somehow with Pearl Jam's other albums. Now it does. Now they have a comprehensive body of work. It shows definitively that PJ was never a metal band, just a good rock & roll outfit.

So I listened to Let It Be...Naked again. I read up on it. Naked is how the Beatles (with the possible exception of Lennon) wanted that album to sound. Thanks, Sir Paul, for fixing it.

Both of these albums show the raw performing power of these bands. They didn't need all the layering, the overdubbing, the technological trickery to make this music sound good. I recommend giving both a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment