Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hey, You Got Weasels on Your Face

Sometimes I wonder if there isn't more AI built into our computers than we're led to believe. Case in point: Windows Media Player.

For two days in a row now, when I select "Shuffle List Now", it's put Weird Al Yankovic's Albuquerque at the top. The first thing I get in the morning is eleven minutes of Werid Al ranting maniacally to music. That suggests to me that maybe my media player likes Weird Al.

And if I just hit "Play Shuffled", it seems to go through moods. Which, of course, are completely opposite to mine. If I'm in the mood for some Alter Bridge or Black Stone Cherry, it'll play Norah Jones and Harry Connick, Jr. If I want Beatles or ELO, it's serving up Disturbed and Black Label Society (although I will say it tends to lean toward the Harry Connick sound).

I've tried resetting my play counts to see if that affects it. It doesn't. Nothing seems to. My media player just appears to feel like listening to certain music. So either my computer has moods, or some Microsoft tech guy is sitting at his workstation, monitoring my every keystroke, and going, "Nah...I don't like the Black Crowes. Let's put on some Shawn Colvin." I figure it's only a matter of time until music I don't remember buying starts showing up in my library ("Wait--when did I get Air Supply's Greatest Hits?").

If you're reading this, covert-big-brother-keylogger guy, knock it off with all the Joan Baez crap and let me listen to my Buckcherry when I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment